Absolutely wrecked after a huge weekend of Supanova (and a very croaky and tired gig with my band at the Toff). I got quite a few of my comics into new hands, and had some return customers from last year, which was extra great. The new Zombolette Floppy was ready in time and it went down pretty well.
I didn’t have heaps of time to see talks or guests, but I had a browse around the stalls and met some very inspiring artists.
Preparing for the event was pretty hectic and stressful, and I was thinking I wouldn’t be up for another convention this year, but now it’s all done and dusted I want more…
^^ My lovely and talented table-mates, Ive Sorocuk and Alex E Clark.
Two Zombolette stories are now totally done! I have plans for a few mini one-page gags to squish between them, then I have to paint the cover, then I’ll have another floppy out! I’ve made a page about it at my amazing new website, too: http://bathwaterbooks.com.au/?project=zombolettes-floppy-issue-1 I’m pretty much a professional web developer now. Only, I’m one who just uses pre-programmed themes and doesn’t know how to do anything. I’ve done SO MUCH editing of the inked pages in the most recent story… lots of cutting and pasting, rearranging, trying to get it just right. I want to go back and re-ink some of the panels from the other story I finished (the yoga one), but my inking has come such a long way since then I think it would really stand out! For the page below, I wanted Zombolette’s world to be more clean and crisp to reflect the plot. I normally draw very scraggly environments, but this was fun.
❤ The big Jeez finally arrived this morning. The books look great, if I may say so. Self publishing is hard and time-consuming and expensive work, but totally rewarding.
Very soon, I will have a website available so they can be purchased. Or maybe I should just give them out for free and send around a collection plate…?
Here’s a little behind-the-scenes look at my comic-creating process, in case anyone’s interested. I love reading this kind of thing from other artists.
Once I’ve come up with one of my genius story ideas, I write out a beat sheet (kind of like a list of the key points in the story). Then I write out the script, breaking it into panels and pages–a delicate process. Each page can fit maybe up to 12 panels, but it must make sense as a single page of action, and capture a specific mood and rhythm. I also try to end each page with a natural ‘rest’.
My scripts are very bare, since I do all my own art–I don’t need to communicate artistic ideas with anyone else, and I flesh most of the visuals out when I’m drawing drafts rather than scripting. Maybe I would get better results by writing out some art direction, but I find this effective enough.
The next thing I do is make rough thumbnails of each page, to make sure everything fits, and to get an idea of how to compose the panels into a page that flows nicely.
These are super crappy and rough. I never used to even draw the action in the panels at this point, I’d just sketch out where the squares were gonna go–I find drawing thumbnails super boring. This means that I spend a lot of time erasing stuff, whiting stuff out, and swearing during later stages. I know I’d save time by drafting more thoroughly… maybe this can be a new year’s resolution.
Anyway, as I’m drawing thumbnails I might find that some pages are too squishy and rushed, or too empty or whatever, so the script tends to change a bit here.
Next, I do full-sized pencil drafts of every page. I should probably do more comprehensive thumbnails, too. I’ll let you know when I’m done I guess!
Another sample from a new and steamy Zombolette story. Under-18s and lady-lovers: this might be too sexy for you.